One of the most frequent subjects writers ask me about is query letters. I’m planning to write several posts on the subject, but in the meantime I thought it would be helpful to compile a roundup of reliable links and resources for soon-to-be-querying writers. This is not an all-inclusive list, of course, but serves as a starting point for writers needing to learn the basics or looking for examples of effective queries. I used many of these resources while writing my own query letter and have since referred them to a number of clients who found them helpful. Know a resource that should be on the list? Have a question about queries? Leave it in the comments below!
Writing Query Letters
1. How to Write a Query Letter by author/former agent Nathan Bransford is a great starting point for writing queries.
2. Getting Personal: Personalizing Your Query by author Janice Hardy provides helpful tips on adding personal details to query letters.
3. This Query Letter Checklist by agent Janet Reid provides a list of all the necessary elements of a query.
4. This vlog from writer Ava Jae discusses how to get started and what to remember when writing a query.
5. How to Write a Query Letter by agent Rachelle Gardner contains a simple, straightforward set of instructions.
Examples of Real Query Letters
1. Query Shark features real queries dissected by agent Janet Reid.
2. Evil Editor is similar in concept to Query Shark, providing evaluation (and evisceration) of real queries.
3. The Query Series on YA Highway features agents explaining why they loved their clients’ queries.
4. This post from author Amy Lukavics shows the transformation of her query from rough early draft to successful pitch.
5. The Anatomy of a Good Query Letter post from author/former agent Nathan Bransford features his successful query letter.
Are there any links and resources I missed? Let me know in the comments!
This post is part of my Links and Resources series. For more helpful writing links, look here for more posts in this series, and follow the blog for all my new content about writing craft, the submission process, and more.