Earlier this month, I discussed tips for writing a synopsis. Today, I’d like to share some additional resources for synopses, from the basics to more in-depth advice. I found these links and resources helpful during my own synopses-writing process and hope other writers will find them equally useful. This is not an all-inclusive list, but should serve as a starting point for writers looking for more information about synopses.
Quick reads and tools:
1. The Dreaded Synopsis is a great post by agent Suzie Townsend about how to tackle a synopsis, starting with the basics.
2. The Synopsis Wizard is a useful tool that will generate a synopsis based on your input, creating a helpful template.
3. This post at BookEnds Literary is a helpful beginner’s guide to synopses.
4. 5 Steps to Writing a Synopsis by agent Vivian Beck is one of the quickest how-to synopsis guides I’ve seen.
5. How to Write a Synopsis by author/former agent Nathan Bransford is another helpful guide to the basics.
1. How to Write a 1-Page Synopsis by author Susan Dennard is an incredibly in-depth and informative post.
2. This post by author Joshua Palmatier provides both advice and thorough examples, as well as links to other example posts.
3. How to Write a Synopsis by author Jodi Meadows offers several great tips.
4. Writer’s Digest offers numerous articles on various writing and publishing-related topics, and several of their posts on synopses are informative.
Know a resource that should be on the list? Have a question about writing synopses? Leave it in the comments below!