Recently, I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by my book promotion to-do list. It seems there’s always an infinite number of marketing tasks. While I remember to carve out time for the biggest ones, I think it’s the little things that often fall through the cracks. It can take me weeks to get around to making a simple website update, for instance, even though the task itself takes less than five minutes.
With that in mind, I’ve set a new goal for myself. I’m going to start setting aside 10-15 minutes each work day to tackle the quick, tiny tasks on my list. Ideally I’ll be able to cross off at least one or two a day, and this will help me keep on top of my ever-growing list.
If you’d like to try a similar method, here are some of the promotional tasks on my list:
- Plan and schedule blog content
- Brainstorm blog post ideas
- Update status on social media
- Update social media profiles and bios
- Update author website
- Update Amazon Author Central page
- Clean up books’ Amazon pages
- Redesign email newsletter template
- Collect and update information for media/press kit
- Create/update graphics for social media posts
- Make sure book info is updated across all platforms
- Update pages on blog
- Update books’ online copy
- Order more mailing supplies for promotional mailings
- Update mailing lists for promotional mailings
- Package swag or books for promotional mailings
- Update contacts list for sending out event invites
- Order more swag from the printer
- Sign swag for upcoming events
- Back up website and blog
- Call event venue to confirm event details
- Write new press release
- Read blog posts and save links to tweet
- Schedule blog post tweets for the week
- Call local bookstores to ask about stock
- Update interview/press post spreadsheet
- Update school visit flyer and forms
- Schedule promotional posts on social media for upcoming events
I’m sure there are many more tasks I’m forgetting, but this is my list for the moment! If you’re currently promoting a book, I hope this list is helpful to you. If not, I hope this gives you a small sample of the kind of promotional work that authors do.
What do you think? What tasks would you add to this list? Have any additional ideas for 10-15 minute marketing? Have any questions? Let me know in the comments!
Interested in professional editorial services for your manuscript? Check out my Services page for more information about what I offer.